[PLUG] question on system

Bill Weiss pdxlinux at houdini.spum.us
Mon Sep 24 00:02:00 UTC 2018

Bill Weiss(pdxlinux at houdini.spum.us)@Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 11:59:18PM +0000:
> Ben Koenig(techkoenig at gmail.com)@Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 06:17:30PM -0700:
> > Nevermind. I just realized that math isn't all that hard.
> >
> > I got get myself a cabinet over here:
> > https://www.portlandcolocation.com/colocation/secure-cabinets/
> >
> (Totally reasonable math snipped)
> > Am I missing anything for this 500 user self-hosted email/collab/fileshare
> > server? Is $6k scary enough to send me running back in Google's open arms?
> > --Ben
>
> Speaking as a self-hosting enthusiast, that looks totally reasonable,
> except for one problem: what happens when the machine blows up? Something
> like losing a RAID card takes you down until you get a replacement
> (hopefully a day or two, given the power of the internet), losing a
> motherboard maybe a bit longer, but what if (say) the power supply blows
> up in just the right way and fries the drives? Suddenly you have to buy
> hardware, reconfigure, and set up again, all while your mail (and that of
> your 500 friends) is not flowing.
>
> Or, as happened to me once, what happens if the datacenter decides you're
> not worth it anymore at the end of your contract? You've got a month or
> two to find a new hosting space, build up a second machine (or pair, since
> you have a hard backup as above), and pivot everyone over to it. You could
> just move the machine and swap IPs, finding out in the process which big
> mailers have long DNS TTLs, and you'll be ok but not great. Hope you don't
> jar the drives too much in the process...
>
> Or, even better, you get DOSed because of a user and the hosting company
> decides you're not worth it _now_ and null routes you.

I forgot the always thrilling "upstream ISP gets marked as spam friendly,
taking your IP with it", that's happened a few times. Make sure those IP
ranges are clean :) Insist on a /29 that you can SWIP to have your name on
it to minimize neighbors being able to wreck your deliverability, and
think about having something out on the internet that you can send through
in a pinch.

--
Bill Weiss