[PLUG] Indecipherable rsync error message SOLVED

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Sat Sep 29 23:16:28 UTC 2018

On Sat, 29 Sep 2018 14:28:43 -0700
Tomas K <tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com> dijo:

>It appears that you either did not have the directory mounted or it was
>in power saving mode (disks spun down, etc.)

The Movies USB device is always mounted, but yes, it seems to go into
sleep mode all the time. Any disk activity brings it out of sleep mode,
although it can take a full minute before it is available. The Synology
is NAS, and it doesn't appear to suffer from being in sleep mode.

Why couldn't I just make a little bash script:

cd ..
cd /media/jjj/Movies
<my rsync command here>

That seems simpler, simple enough that even I understand it. :)

Having said that I suffer from this drive having to refresh itself all
the time. I mean, dozens of times a day I sit here twiddling my thumbs
while I wait and listen to the discs rumble and watch the lights
blink. I use this disk all day long, yet it seems to go into sleep mode
after five minutes of inactivity.