[PLUG] Indecipherable rsync error message SOLVED

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Sun Sep 30 02:26:21 UTC 2018

On Sat, 29 Sep 2018 17:55:59 -0700
Tomas K <tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com> dijo:

>Try hdparam to control sleep time.
>
>Here is Ubuntu link:
>https://askubuntu.com/questions/39760/how-can-i-control-hdd-spin-down-t
>ime
>
>If that does not work, and you cannot change your DAS settings, you
>might need to look at powertop to check if your USB is not going to
>sleep.
>
>Synology NAS have settings to set disk sleep timer. It is a great way
>to prolong disk life and reduce heat and noise. By default it is off.

I looked at the Ubuntu link above, which led me to look at the Disks
utility. The Disks utility has a button to display Standby, Advanced
Power Management, and Write Cache. For my Movies USB they were all set
to OFF.

Then I tried powertop, which I had to install first. It would have told
me more if I had understood the display. The top line seemed to be the
Movies USB drive, and it said:

	1.5 ms/s     360.9        Process        [usb-storage]

It kept changing, but the above is typical of what it displayed.