[PLUG] [OT] Visually identifying USB flash drives

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Apr 2 23:37:57 UTC 2019

On Tue, Apr 02, 2019 at 05:50:54AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
>I've 20-30 flash drives dedicated t specific projects.
> I think paper gummed labels will match how I do things better.

I have sheets of 5x22 adhesive plastic labels that I use for
USB flat-side drives.  I usually write on them with a Sharpie.

For ID tags that I use to identify many of my posessions, I
wrote a postcript file (a 2 index loop with a customizable
text field) that writes 100 copies of the ID info on the 100
"center" tags on the sheet; the printer won't print to the
top and bottom half inch of the label sheet.

I run the laser printer "slow" (thick card stock setting) to
bond the toner better, then spray clear acrylic on top to
help bond it (that dissolves and fogs the letters a wee bit).

A truly obsessed geek would rewrite the postscript file (it
is just ascii text, after all), increment a loop index, and
write sequential numbers on the labels.  My brain is no
longer big enough to do that with stack-oriented postscript.

My most recently purchased flash drives have swing-around
metal covers rather than caps or sliders.  For those, I write
with Sharpie on 2x4 adhesive address labels and fold a large
tag around the end of the cover.  Makes them easier to find,
and I can add more information.

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com