[PLUG] Extracting Error Messages

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Wed Apr 3 17:09:23 UTC 2019

On 4/3/19 9:54 AM, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>> On 4/3/19 9:37 AM, Dick Steffens wrote:
>>> I have a theme in xfce on my laptop that doesn't exist on my desktop.
>>> I'm trying to copy the theme from the laptop to the desktop. I
>>> compressed the directory Numix, used sftp to copy the .tar.gz file,
>>> and am trying to extract the directory. I get this error message:
>>>
>>> tar: Numix/gtk-3.0/assets: Cannot open: File exists
>>> tar: Numix/gtk-3.20/assets: Cannot open: File exists
>>> tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
>>>
>>> What's going on here?
> I suspect these are directories and for some reason due
> to the way you wrote the tar creation command you ended
> up putting 2 copies of these directories in the tar file.

To create the tar file I used the GUI. I right-clicked on the directory
Numix and clicked on "Create Archive..." I don't know how it did it.

> You can check this with:
> tar tvf <filename> | grep Numix/gtk- | grep assets
>
> You probably get 2 lines for each of the above files.

That produces a long list of files, but none of them seem to be exact
duplicates. The closest are:

lrwxrwxrwx rsteff/rsteff      0 2019-04-03 09:32 Numix/gtk-3.0/assets ->
../assets
lrwxrwxrwx rsteff/rsteff      0 2019-04-03 09:32 Numix/gtk-3.20/assets
-> ../assets

This is a weird thing that doesn't seem to have prevented what I needed
done, so If I don't find an answer I won't be too bummed.

Thanks for your ideas.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens