[PLUG] Extracting Error Messages

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Wed Apr 3 17:57:09 UTC 2019

On 4/3/19 10:52 AM, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

>>> I suspect these are directories and for some reason due
>>> to the way you wrote the tar creation command you ended
>>> up putting 2 copies of these directories in the tar file.
>> To create the tar file I used the GUI. I right-clicked on the directory
>> Numix and clicked on "Create Archive..." I don't know how it did it.
>>
>>> You can check this with:
>>> tar tvf <filename> | grep Numix/gtk- | grep assets
>>>
>>> You probably get 2 lines for each of the above files.
>> That produces a long list of files, but none of them seem to be exact
>> duplicates. The closest are:
>>
>> lrwxrwxrwx rsteff/rsteff????? 0 2019-04-03 09:32 Numix/gtk-3.0/assets ->
>> ../assets
>> lrwxrwxrwx rsteff/rsteff????? 0 2019-04-03 09:32 Numix/gtk-3.20/assets
>> -> ../assets
> Ah, there is a clue.. they are symlinks.. what exact options
> did you use on your tar create and tar extract commands?
> Specifically I am concerned about -h.
>
> If you evaluate what that sym links above point at they both
> point at a file called
> Numix/assets
> that is infact an exact duplicate.
> Now why is tar complaining about that? The only think I can think of
> would be the -h option saying to derefernce links and store the data.

I used the GUI for both creation and extraction, so I didn't use any
options. The creation occurred on a laptop running Xubuntu 18.04
machine, while the extraction occurred on my Ubuntu MATE 18.04 machine
that has an xfce window manager. The copy from the laptop to the desktop
was done with sftp.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens