[PLUG] Framebuffer assistance

Bob Vinisky bob at cherrycreekdaffodils.com
Wed Apr 10 18:05:07 UTC 2019

Hello all,

I have an older little 7” usb monitor that I would like to use as a main monitor. The device is correctly seen and assigned to fb1 and I would like to map this device to the default terminal (vt0). Sometime in the past, maybe 4-5 years ago, this was working on my router with no other monitor attached, but I cannot get the framebuffwer to switch anymore. The Framebuffer how-to is sadly out of date (from 2010, I believe), and the man pages for both lil and grub have shown me no joy. The how-to suggestted using a kernel parameter along the lines of “video=map:0123” which would map fb0 to tty0, fb1 to tty1, etc. and, as I remember, simply changing that to “video=map:1023” did the trick.

This no longer seems to work, so if anyone speaks Framebuffer and knows the magic words to switch the default terminal to fb1, I would love to be educated <girin>.

Thanks

Bob