[PLUG] C program: configures & builds, segfaults on invocation

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Wed Aug 7 15:21:34 UTC 2019

On 8/7/19 7:23 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> I've been working with the developer on this and we're both out of ideas so
> I'm looking for suggestions from experienced C coders here before reaching
> out on LQ.
>
> I've run jpilot (the Palm PIM desktop) since the Palm Pilot Personal came
> out. It has built and run on Slackware since 8.0 on my 32-bit desktops and
> portables. It also builds and runs on my 64-bit laptops. But, when I try to
> load it on the new 64-bit desktop it segfaults.
>
> It works for the developer on a vm running a patched Slackware-14.2 and my
> new desktop runs a fresh installation, fully patched, of the same
> distribution. Why it will not load here is a mystery needing to be solved
> because I use jpilot (and the handheld Palm TX) every day for both business
> and personal needs.
>
> A few days ago I cloned the repo on the new desktop ran autoconf.sh,
> configure --prefix=/usr, make, make install and tried running it:
> segfaulted.
>
> Using the command line 'gdb /usr/bin/jpilot' produced these results:
>
> (gdb) run
> Starting program: /usr/bin/jpilot [Thread debugging using libthread_db
> enabled]
> Using host libthread_db library "/lib64/libthread_db.so.1".
> removing stale pidfile
>
> (jpilot:5985): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in
> module_path: "murrine",
> [New Thread 0x7fffed52f700 (LWP 5990)]
> [New Thread 0x7fffecd2e700 (LWP 5991)]
>
> Thread 1 "jpilot" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
> 0x00007fffef5d39f0 in __strftime_internal () from /lib64/libc.so.6

There are plenty of search results when searching for 'SIGSEGV in
__strftime_internal () from /lib64/libc.so.6'.  I suggest perusing them.
  They are unlikely to be related to jpilot, but it still might give you
an idea why there is a problem.

This result from stackoverflow might be relevant.  The problem was
incorrectly coded time calls.  The seg fault was related to what locale
was being used.  I suggest checking for environment variable differences
between the laptops and the desktop.  In particular look for differences
in LC_ALL.
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10597913/sigsegv-segmentation-fault-at-strftime-l-lib64-libc-so-6>

galen
--