[PLUG] Any Java experts here?

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 13:28:25 UTC 2019

JabRef also lists JDK as a dependency, not openjdk. There might be a
reason for this.

  If you are really set on contacting the jabref devs, ask if openjdk is
supported by their application. It's very possible that it needs the
official JDK.

One other thing, openjdk7 is a COMPILE time dependency, not runtime
dependency. This means that it needs to be uninstalled after you build
openjdk8, and before you install openjdk8 (for ubuntu users:  this is a
step handled by package maintainers, compile deps are hidden from the
user).  Don't ask me why the build process for 8 requires 7, it's java.

If you have multiple installs of openjdk on your system, uninstall all
of them and start over. Running multiple java environments is a
non-trivial task, and chances are you have no way of knowing with
version JabRef is trying to use.

Again, if you leave openjdk7 installed when you install openjdk8, you
will probably end up breaking it again.