[PLUG] Read DVDs

VY vyau5678 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 01:25:18 UTC 2019

Hello All

I have trouble reading DVDs on my laptop using Linux Mint.

I typically borrowed DVDs from library and never had issues with playing
them on my laptop.  I don't need to buy a DVD or BluRay player by doing
that.
Today, I got a DVD and I can read its content/files.   But VLC or all
other players would try to play only to stop or report having errors about
5 seconds
later.
I noticed the DVD disc has this Stingray plastic on top:

https://www.smartrac-group.com/stingray.html

I do not see any info online regarding this but I suspect it may have
played a role
in blocking my laptop from playing it.  I do have the latest libdvd-pkg
installed.

Has anyone come across this issue?   Any workaround?

thanks

-v