[PLUG] [Retitled for clarity] File sharing over a two node LAN

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Sun Aug 11 21:45:56 UTC 2019

>>>>> "Richard" == Richard Owlett <rowlett at cloud85.net> writes:

Richard> On 08/10/2019 02:01 PM, Russell Senior wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 8:55 AM Richard Owlett <rowlett at cloud85.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I have read more and made some progress ;} I am using Debian 9.8
>>> {Stretch} with MATE desktop on two Lenovo laptops.  As I used
>>> Networkmanager to create the ad-hoc network, I only have WEP *NOT*
>>> WPA at the moment [but have info on doing WPA].  [see
>>>
>>> https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#WiFi_can_scan.2C_but_not_connect_using_NetworkManager_.28Debian_9_Stretch.29
>>> on how to overcome a connection problem.]
>>>
>>> My stated goal is file sharing on a peer-to-peer network with
>>> exactly two nodes. The unstated purpose of chosen method is
>>> understanding networks. Traveling down memory lane to early 60's, I
>>> can see this as a Sophomore/Junior E.E. lab {Cornell's
>>> B.S.E.E. program was 5 years at the time ;]
>>>

>> Nothing on wireless involves two nodes. Each station broadcasts. It's
>> only happenstance if only two stations are receiving, it could easily
>> be more.

Richard> IRRELEVANT to topic at hand. *MY* LAN has exactly two
Richard> nodes. The "physical transport layer" happens to be WiFi, could
Richard> just as well be 20mA current loop.

>> Did you see this?
>>
>> https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/AdHoc

Richard> Yes but it is not germane as Networkmanager was used to
Richard> establish the connection. It does the same job but evidently
Richard> stores its information differently.

NetworkManager is going to hide the details from you. If you want to
learn more about how it works (referring to your "EE lab" remark), the
AdHoc link would be better adapted to that.

>>> Since I last posted, I've discovered "Open Systems .Interconnection
>>> (OSI) Model".
>>>

>> Did you see this part?
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model#Comparison_with_TCP/IP_model
>> [snip long quotation]

Richard> I hadn't. But I did not see any guidance there.

The guidance is to forget about OSI except for very general conceptual
ideas. Don't try to find an implementation. The snipped quotation refers
to how it is "unimplementable".

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net