[PLUG] YES!!! - was Re: [Retitled for clarity] File sharing over a two node LAN

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Thu Aug 15 12:55:11 UTC 2019

On 08/12/2019 04:25 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 08/12/2019 02:35 PM, Galen Seitz wrote:
>> On 8/12/19 11:43 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
>>>
>>> My post declared SERVER/CLIENT  relationships are [expletives deleted ;]
>>
>> And I bet your desktop is running an X *server*.  Oh, the horrors!
>>
>> If you really want to compute like it's 1975, there's always uucp, but
>> I think you would be much better served (pun intended) by learning how
>> to use scp or nfs/samba.
>>

> *CAVEAT LECTOR*
> uucp may be *EXACTLY* what I'm looking for YMMV ;/
> need to read further

I've been reading ;} "cu" describes what I envisioned.
https://www.airs.com/ian/uucp-doc/uucp_3.html#SEC21 states in part:
> The cu program is used to call up another system and act as
> a dial in terminal. It can also do simple file transfers with > no error checking.

It says "dial in terminal". If I read the documentation,
[https://www.airs.com/ian/uucp-doc/uucp_6.html#SEC79]
correctly, that should be no problem. The documentation explicitly notes
security issues. For my _initial_ usage that should not be an issue.