[PLUG] Nautilus can't see freenas...

Michael C Robinson michael at robinson-west.com
Tue Aug 20 11:32:04 UTC 2019

Quoting David <dafr+plug at dafr.us>:

> On 8/19/19 1:31 PM, Michael C Robinson wrote:
>> I am on a CentOS 7 system running gnome 3, fully updated.  I want
>> clicking on Windows Network in Nautilus to show my freenas 11.2 U6
>> server.  My smb.conf on the CentOS 7 box follows:
>>

> <-- removed smb.conf -->
This config is relevant I believe and shouldn't have been removed!

>> Please note that I am trying to use the CentOS 7 host as a client
>> to the freenas server.  I'm trying specifically to use Nautilus and
>> browse to the freenas server.
>>
>> [mrobinson at eagle ~]$ nmblookup freenas
>> 192.168.254.18 freenas<00>
>> [mrobinson at eagle ~]$
>>
>> I can do a smb://freenas manually, but I want clicking on Windows
>> Network to work properly.
>

> How are you configuring the mount for this? In order to use Nautilus
> or other tools, the OS has to know how to find the share.
>
> I do something similar with autofs in my home network, and it works
> fine. You can set up something similar, or use /etc/fstab strictly
> to mount on boot and leave it attached all the time.
>
> david
I can manually in Nautilus connect to freenas, but it should be
possible to see freenas
when I click on Windows Network.  What am I missing to be able to
browse to my freenas
server in Nautilus without manually connecting?  I am not thinking I
need a manual mount
or autofs to be able to browse in Nautilus to a freenas server.
Freenas implements cifs
I believe and is probably Samba 3.x based.

I'm running into a lot of you have to set the workgroup to WORKGROUP
nonsense online, my workgroup is
roch.robinson-west.com.  What does Nautilus use on the backend to be
able to browse a Windows Network?