[PLUG] Nautilus can't see freenas...

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 15:25:25 UTC 2019

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 4:32 AM Michael C Robinson <
michael at robinson-west.com> wrote:

> Quoting David <dafr+plug at dafr.us>:
> > <-- removed smb.conf -->
> This config is relevant I believe and shouldn't have been removed!

No, it is not relevant. smb.conf is the configuration for the Samba daemon.
It is only relevant on the host serving files, in your case this is
Freenas, and the file is configured via the web interface.

You are using centos as the client, therefore, smb.conf is not useful.
Client side configuration is handled by other software packages, you don't
need samba. If you are running the SMB daemon on centos as well, this could
throw another workgroup into the mix and confuse Nautilus. You should make
sure samba is not running on centos since you say that this box is the
client. You essentially have 2 servers on the same network, and it picks
the wrong one ;-)

> I'm running into a lot of you have to set the workgroup to WORKGROUP
> nonsense online, my workgroup is
> roch.robinson-west.com.  What does Nautilus use on the backend to be
> able to browse a Windows Network?

As for your workgroup, that is windows terminology. There is a more
advanced explanation, but in short the workgroup (set by default to
"WORKGROUP") is a feature of Windows domain networks to allow computers to
be grouped on a given network segment.
I very much doubt that 'roch.robinson-west.com' is your workgroup. It's
usually just a 1 word name, and doesn't necessarily need to match your
FQDN. SMB login credentials look like this:

\\SERVERNAME\PATH\TO\SHARE\
WORKGROUP\USERNAME
PASSWORD

When workgroup is unspecified, it will default to what you were told by
online nonsense. Since so many devices use WORKGROUP as the default, a good
way to get everything working is use it unless you specifically need
otherwise.

I think you might need to go back to your smb share on freenas and make
sure it is configured properly. based on what you've said so far you added
all your configs to centos, which isn't actually going to do what you want.