[PLUG] Nautilus can't see freenas...

Michael C Robinson michael at robinson-west.com
Tue Aug 20 18:11:35 UTC 2019

Quoting Ben Koenig <techkoenig at gmail.com>:

> On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 4:32 AM Michael C Robinson <
> michael at robinson-west.com> wrote:
>
>> Quoting David <dafr+plug at dafr.us>:
>> > <-- removed smb.conf -->
>> This config is relevant I believe and shouldn't have been removed!
>>

> No, it is not relevant. smb.conf is the configuration for the Samba daemon.
> It is only relevant on the host serving files, in your case this is
> Freenas, and the file is configured via the web interface.

Where does Nautilus get the workgroup to advertise itself as then?
Typically, you have to be in the same workgroup to see computers in that
workgroup, or am I missing something?  If not smb.conf, then what does
Nautilus use to configure itself as a cifs or smb client?

> You are using centos as the client, therefore, smb.conf is not useful.
> Client side configuration is handled by other software packages, you don't
> need samba. If you are running the SMB daemon on centos as well, this could
> throw another workgroup into the mix and confuse Nautilus. You should make
> sure samba is not running on centos since you say that this box is the
> client. You essentially have 2 servers on the same network, and it picks
> the wrong one ;-)

I will have to see about removing samba server on the CentOS 7 box...