[PLUG] Firefox or security problems

wes plug at the-wes.com
Thu Aug 22 00:18:39 UTC 2019

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 5:05 PM John Jason Jordan <johnxj at gmx.com> wrote:

> Last Sunday at the Clinic I did a dist-update on my Xubuntu 16.04 - an
> update, not an upgrade to 18.04. After rebooting everything works
> perfectly, except Firefox. The update installed a new version of Firefox
> so I now have Firefox Quantum 68.02 64-bit, 'Mozilla Firefox for Ubuntu
> canonical 1.0.' I recall seeing some security updates flash by during
> the update also, but I didn't take note of exactly what they were.
>
> Either Firefox or the security updates has made Firefox unusable. It
> launches and appears to run fine, but no web pages can find the
> internet.

What is the specific error you get when you launch Firefox in normal mode
and try to browse to a site?

Have you tried both HTTP and HTTPS sites? And I mean a site that does not
force you to HTTPS, which may be hard to find. pdxlinux.org is one such.

If you could post up a screenshot somewhere, that would be quite helpful.
You can send it to me individually if that would be easier, and I'll post
it up to share with others. I use imgur.com for this type of thing.

-wes