[PLUG] Firefox or security problems

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Thu Aug 22 02:08:05 UTC 2019

On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 17:18:39 -0700
wes <plug at the-wes.com> dijo:

>> Either Firefox or the security updates has made Firefox unusable. It
>> launches and appears to run fine, but no web pages can find the
>> internet.

>What is the specific error you get when you launch Firefox in normal
>mode and try to browse to a site?

The page simply never finishes loading. E.g., if I open a new tab, then
type www.pdxlinux.org in the address bar and hit enter, the page does
not load and in the lower left corner of the page I get 'Waiting for
www.pdxlinux.org. Eventually the tab goes to Problem loading page. I
get the same results regardless of what page I try to load, including
anything in my bookmarks. If I do the same in Chromium the page loads
normally in a few seconds.

>Have you tried both HTTP and HTTPS sites? And I mean a site that does
>not force you to HTTPS, which may be hard to find. pdxlinux.org is one
>such.

I tried a dozen of my bookmarked sites, including pdxlinux.org, and I
get the same results with all of them. Some of them, including my TV
schedule page, don't say 'problem loading page,' they just sit there
with a little dot moving back and forth in the tab. I assume some are
HTTPS and some are HTTP.

>If you could post up a screenshot somewhere ...

There isn't really anything to see. There is no popup window with an
error message. The page remains blank and never loads.