[PLUG] December PLUG Meeting: Do you still use ASCII?

Michael Dexter dexter at pdxlinux.org
Sun Dec 1 08:15:52 UTC 2019

Portland Linux/Unix Group General Meeting Announcement

Who: Steve Dum
What: Do you still use ASCII?
Where: PSU, 1900 SW 4th Ave. Room FAB 86-01 (Left Entrance, Lower Level)
When: Thursday, December 5th, 2019 at 7pm
Why: The pursuit of technology freedom
Stream: http://pdxlinux.org/live

A look at the journey from ASCII to UTF-8. I'll discuss the
ramifications of the results of this journey for users and highlight
cautions for developers. We have gone from the simple, a character is a
byte, to a character may be tens of bytes, and worse monospace
characters are not always the same width when displayed. This is a
overview of features every GNU/Linux user should be aware of. It also
highlights some issues programmers and sysadmins will face.

I am a UTF-8 neophyte trying to fix a broken program that now needs to
use UTF-8. I've spent decades porting large programs to new
environments. Now I'm planning on integrating a large library to a small
program.

ATTENTION! Thanks to a new security policy, attendees will need to enter
through the 1900 SW 4th entrance by 8PM, just North of the 1930 SW 4th
entrance adjacent to Hawaiian Express, formerly Taco Del Mar:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1900+SW+4th+Ave,+Portland,+OR

Calagator Page: http://calagator.org/events/1250476472

Many will head to the Lucky Lab at 1945 NW Quimby St. after the meeting.

Rideshares to the Lucky Lab available

PLUG is open to everyone and does not tolerate abusive behavior on its
mailing lists or at its meetings.

PLUG Page with information about all PLUG events: http://pdxlinux.org/
Follow PLUG on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pdxlinux

Michael Dexter