[PLUG] Unmanaged gigabit switches: does brand matter?

Tomas Kuchta tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 19:06:09 UTC 2019

On Thu, Dec 5, 2019, 13:37 tom <tgrom.automail at nuegia.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 12:18:49 -0500
> Tomas Kuchta <tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Now, Ubiquity has decided that their products will call home with
> > data from the internal networks, of course without opt in/out. And of
> > course they think that it is great and they have absolute right to
> > use someone else's network for theirs desires. So, I will be dumping
> > their gear in a hurry as soon as I have the time to do it.
>
> You can replace the spyware containing firmware with OpenWRT.

Not really, there is good reason for enterprise class solutions.

OpenWRT is great, but not real option for anything but the simplest single
router/AP setups.

It becames a lot of work - once you have router, switches and multiple APs
with need to manage channel assignment, client hand off, Radius, vlans, etc.

Thankfully, the backlash to not respecting network boundaries made Ubiquti
change their course and release update with disable analytics option. This
time, mind you, no doubt, they will try it again at some point.