[PLUG] Router configuration: connecting laptop

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Dec 6 16:44:52 UTC 2019

On Thu, 5 Dec 2019, wes wrote:

> What we discovered last night is that every time eth0 goes DOWN and back UP
> (ie, when the cable is unplugged and plugged back in, or every time the
> edgerouter device reboots), Slackware attempts to configure the interface
> and fails. It is not honoring the config file settings, unless you fixed
> that since then.

Wes,

Nope. I didn't remember how you fixed it so I stumbled around for a while
then wrote for help.

> Please paste evidence that your interface is actually configured with that
> IP address. Examples may include the output of the ifconfig or "ip a"
> commands.

I'm reading/learning about iproute2 since it is an advanced replacement for
the net-tools ifconfig.

The eth0 interface is defined in rc.inet1.conf with IP address 192.168.1.55,
netmask 255.255.255.0. It does appear in the 'ifconfig -a' output when the
router is plugged in, but it's not running. Later this morning I'll run 'ip
a' and report the output. And I'll continue learning how to use ip.

Regards,