[PLUG] Script not working as intended

John Meissen john at meissen.org
Sun Dec 15 17:42:43 UTC 2019

On 12/15/19 6:22 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> Yesterday I put this command in root's crontab:
>
> # remove all files in /tmp not modified in 7 days daily at 1:20
> 20 1 * * * find /tmp -mtime +7 -type f -exec rm -f { } ';'
>
> It is not working as I expected since there are files in /tmp as old
> as last
> August. There are also old directories not modified for months.

First of all, directories won't be affected because you specified '-f',
although I would expect files in those directories to be affected.

Second, what happens if you run it yourself (as root)? Try replacing the
-exec ... with -print to make sure your test arguments are finding the
files you expect.