[PLUG] New computer is running!

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Mon Dec 16 23:06:46 UTC 2019

It took about three hours t copy /home from my old computer to the new
one, and then a couple hours fixing boot problems. The old
computer had / and /home defined in fstab by LABEL=Boot and LABEL=Home,
plus several external drives. I anticipated this would be a problem, so
I used a Knoppix USB stick to # the external drives, and changed 'Boot'
to 'Root,' because that is the label that I used on the new
partition. But it still wouldn't boot. It took a while to figure out
that it wasn't finding /home and /, but when I eventually realized what
was happening I changed them to /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2, but
still no joy. Then I tried /dev/nvme1 and /dev/nvme2, and when they also
failed I was ready to tear my hair out. Finally I used UUIDs, and then I
heaved a sigh of relief when the familiar Xubuntu login screen
appeared. And here I am, typing my first e-mail on this shiny new
Thinkpad.

Side note: In the process I discovered that Ctrl-Alt-t does not open a
terminal window in Knoppix.

There are still some things to fix - font sizes are first on my list.
The old monitor was 1920x1080 and the new one is 3840x2160 UHD. I was
amazed that Xubuntu finally delivered the right resolution - there were
quite a few error messages about NVIDIA, due probably to different
drivers.

In the process I used a live Grub Boot Repair ISO, and I'm happy to say
that my 'Error: No symbol table' messages are gone.

Many, many thanks to all who helped with moving my Xubuntu 18.04 to the
new computer!