[PLUG] clinic from dec. 15 named.conf question

Vince Winter vince.winter at freegeek.org
Tue Dec 17 21:56:38 UTC 2019

Hello,

dig didn't work.

Context:
I am running 3 virtual machines on my laptop;there is DHCP/DNS Bind server,
Pxe/NFS server, and test workstation. There is 2 virtual networks; Network
External is just a connection Host(My Laptop) and DHCP server, Network
Internal is just a connection between DHCP server, Pxe server, and the
workstation. The DHCP/DNS server is running iptables, DNS Bind, and dhcp.

Goal:
Have the DNS running for internal computers and be able to pass DNS
internally, this setup as a test and learning environment, and being able
to get internet access to the internal network.

Problem:
I can't get the DNS names to resolve. The DNS server can get resolve
external DNS names but not internal one. The pxe server and workstation
can't resolve DNS internally or externally, but can ping external IP
addresses. Pxe boot is working. Have tested with iptables running and
stopped.

Named.conf and zone files will be attached.