[PLUG] Network troubleshooting help (urgent)

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Tue Dec 17 22:13:42 UTC 2019

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019 13:30:59 -0800 (PST)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>This is a DNS issue; the computer cannot find a route to a nameserver.
>Do you have /etc/resolv.conf? If so, what does it tell you? This file
>resolves DNS names to their IP addresses and if it cannot reach a DNS
>server it has no idea where to send packets. Your ISP probably has the
>DNS servers you should use and their IP addresses should be
>in /etc/resolv.conf.
>
>As an example, this is what my LAN hosts have in /etc/resolv.conf:
>
>nameserver 192.168.55.1
>nameserver 74.40.74.40	# Frontier DNS server ns1
>nameserver 74.40.74.41	# Frontier DNS server ns2
>nameserver 127.0.0.1

I do have resolv.conf on the laptop. I opened it and it is identical to
the resolv.conf file on the desktop. The desktop works, the laptop does
not. I didn't fire up the old computer to see what its resolv.conf
file3 says, but it has to be the same as the new laptop because the
root partition on the new laptop was placed there by dd from the old
laptop,