[PLUG] asking advice on secure texting application

Mike C. mconnors1 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 00:56:31 UTC 2019

Yes. It's that Cathedral and Bazaar that Eric S. Raymond wrote about that
I'm familiar with but never actually read the book.

Security can often be referred to as accountability. In
> addition to preventing theft, you can also identify when theft occurs, and
> take steps to recover.
>
> It's a common theme among cyber security consultants that provide
> training to companies to migitate the fallout of a security incident,
> rather than
> prevent it. While storing all information in plain text (the Unix Way) has
> overhead, it provides some huge benefits to the Support community in
> terms of problem identification, and isolation.

That's a new & interesting take. I'll look more into this approach.

 What I'mlooking for is a way to engage in SMS, without the reliance on
> Google and Apple API's.

Yes. I feel married to Google and I want a divorce!

> What you should probably do is take a look at what Purism is doing
> with PureOS and the Librem 5. They are making a phone using a mainline Linux
> kernel, so they created a collection of apps that would essentially do
> all the simple stuff that Android does, with NO google whatsoever.

Yes. Familiar with it. Was holding my breath and then had to try to forget
about it. It's projects like this that I think to myself had I known this
day would come I would've stuck with computer programming instead of
computer networks.