[PLUG] Artix - Fork of Arch Linux

Mike C. mconnors1 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 07:04:58 UTC 2019

> The thing I find most interesting about Artix is that they repeatedly
> make the point that they have few issues with systemd from a technical
> perspective. The majority of their complaints have to do with the behavior
> of the people running Arch systemd itself.

I feel like their been quite a few "tech religious wars" that were more
about people/personalities than technology.

I remember reading article this past year about some well known distro
being taken over by the more "politically correct" types. I know it wasn't
Debian, it could've bee Arch.

> I ran across an interesting post on their list archives where a
> developer said very clearly that "users" are not important, only
> developers. I'm paraphrasing, and if i can find the link I'll share because
> I ran across it
> at work and was like WOAH WTF.

My first thought on this was whatever software you aren't a developer of
you're a user of. But I've also worked at a company where the
customers/users ran the company right into the ground.

> Arch users do like to live on the bleeding edge, and so does Artix but
> in their opinion, systemd doesn't represent the latest and greatest the
> Linux
> platform has to offer, so they aren't moving forward with it.

As a user, I never found the SystemD vs Init argument very interesting. I
knew I wouldn't stray from Debain.

- Devuan: Fork of Debian to maintain non-systemd init

I forgot about Devian!!!

> I personally find it offensive when people look at these distros and
> claim that we aren't important.
> -Ben

As a former Sys Admin and user for a decade now, I'm not so offended. I get
a pretty solid product for free and I don't really give much back in return.

 I hear far worse on the nightly news by the supposed "Leader of the Free
World" that stuff like this is just more incoherent babbling from another
raving sociopathic troglodyte.