[PLUG] Communication error, HDHomeRun tuner

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Mon Dec 30 23:29:41 UTC 2019

On Mon, 30 Dec 2019, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> I have an HDHomeRun TV tuner on my network. [....]
>
> Yesterday it was so bad that I gave up on the desktop and watched the
> news on my laptop. Amazingly, there were absolutely no problems at all.
> So now I am scratching my head. The desktop used to work perfectly, and
> suddenly started having problems about a week ago. Both computers are
> getting the same signal from the tuner. The only big difference is that
> the video is different. But remember, the desktop used to work fine.
>
> I could use some suggestions for what to poke at next. Any ideas?

My first thought is that a new Intel video driver was recently
installed and that it's buggy with desktop hardware, which I assume to
be somewhat different (and older) and your laptop.

My second thought, not unlike the first, is that a new kernel
subsystem isn't working and playing well with the desktop hardware.

Can you reboot into an older kernel on the desktop?

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com
45°38' N, 122°6' W