[PLUG] Communication error, HDHomeRun tuner

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Tue Dec 31 06:28:56 UTC 2019

On Mon, 30 Dec 2019 18:24:42 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at gmx.com> dijo:

>I also verified that the version of VLC on both computers is the same,
>and both are on the same 5.3 kernel. The CPUs are both Intel, but the
>desktop is a couple years older.

It appears clear that the problem is VLC on the desktop computer. It
can't be the video driver because I booted to an older kernel from when
it was working, and it still wouldn't work properly. So for my last
attempt, noting that everything is working fine on the laptop, I opened
Preferences in the laptop's VLC and also in VLC on the desktop, and made
the desktop preferences identical to the VLC preferences on the laptop.

I also reinstalled every package that came up in Synaptic searching on
'vlc.'

And I watched a one-hour news program on the laptop this evening with
no problems.

Still no go.

At this point the only thing I can think of is a conflict with some
other program, or perhaps a new version of a program. If so, it has to
be something that is running right after a reboot with no programs
launched yet, because the problem exists even then.

Perhaps tomorrow morning I can think of other troubleshooting tricks.
Can't think any more now.