[PLUG] Fixiing Slackware upgrade mistake

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 01:04:03 UTC 2019

If you run lsmod you will probably notice that the nvidia driver module is
not loaded. At least it shouldn't be.
When you install the nvidia driver (or any 3rd party driver) it has to
build a kernel module for that kernel. When you upgrade your kernel to a
new version, the nvidia module must be re-built.

if you take a look at the nvidia driver packages you created, one of them
will have an unusual naming scheme. 'nvidia-kernel' will have the version
of your old kernel in the filename. This is the kernel version it was built
for.

What you want to do is re-run the slackbuild for nvidia-kernel, and then
install it with upgradepkg (or just remove and install the new file). Once
you install the new nvidia-kernel, you can probably just reboot and it will
figure itself out.

nvidia-driver can be left alone. Only the kernel space stuff needs to be
upgraded.