[PLUG] Fiber, means and ENDS

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Mon Feb 4 16:18:44 UTC 2019

On Sun, 3 Feb 2019, Russell Senior wrote:

> My primary argument is that we need to solve the monopoly problem.

This.

As long as decent connectivity is driven by physical connections on
the rights-of-way (utility poles or under-street conduits) to
endpoints (usually homes and offices), connectivity ownership is the
key bottleneck.

Perhaps there's a future where wifi can provide the speed and
reliability of fiber. Maybe that will lessen the monopoly problem, or
maybe the FCC will change guidelines to simply move the bottleneck
from phyical access to frequency licensing. (I'm not holding my breath
here.)

As long as there is a bottleneck not under public control, monopoly is
the problem we'll be solving.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com