[PLUG] xfig question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Feb 16 22:38:13 UTC 2019

Anyone here use xfig regularly? I keep trying to use it for quick drawings,
such as GUI widget layout for an application, but I give up in frustration
because I cannot consistently get a tool to stop drawing.

The so-called docs I find tell me what the various shapes and tools do.
Well, that's pretty obvious and hovering the pointer over an image pops up
a tool tip that says what it does. I don't find a doc that tells me how to
end a shape and have it snap to a grid intersection. Begining a shape is a
left-click on the image, then drag to the final position. Sometimes, a
double left-click ends the drawing, too often it does not.

PSTricks can certainly do the job although for widget layout the precision
of this tool is overkill. Dia seems to suffer the same issues as xfig:
ending a box or line just where I want it can be a test of patience.

Pointers to better docs that those produced by university faculty or in the
xfig download will be nice.

TIA,