[PLUG] AWS EFS Infrequent Access Question

Bill Ensley bill at bearprinting.com
Tue Feb 19 18:02:03 UTC 2019

Hi All,

We have been fully AWS for several years now and are looking to migrate
from a custom EBS based file system to AWS EFS.

When it first came out it was much too expensive for our needs however
they have introduced a new Infrequent Storage
option that automatically transitions files older than 30 days to a
lower cost storage state.

This is supposed to all be transparent to the OS so here is my
question:  Once a file is in Infrequent Storage, if is accessed
does it move back to Standard Storage?

I cannot find this answer anywhere in AWS documentation.

Thank you,

-Bill Ensley
Founder
www.bearprinting.com