[PLUG] Still trying to communicate between Slackware and Ubuntu

tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 03:41:55 UTC 2019

I assume that Thunar is some sort of GUI file manager like application
- it is mentioned on this list often, but I am oblivious to these
things and their exotic/gimpy sounding names meaning nothing remotely
descriptive.

Anyway, if I am right and you are in fact browsing/playing/editing
files through a GUI file manager - either displayed remotely or
browsing through the GUI manged ssh setup. Both KDE and GNOME can
connect and browse remote files via ssh. ===> So if you try to
open/play/edit file through another GUI apllication - this it will not
work.

You will need to copy the file locally and then play/open/edit that
local copy. ===> The reason is simple - what you see in one gui is not
available in the other GUI application.

To solve this principle limitation - you need to somehow mount the
remote storage on your local host or open the file in remote
application - in which case you will not be able to hear the sound
without doing extra work.

To mount remote filesystem on your machine you will most likely need to
use nfs or samba or sshfs. Given the fact that you have ssh working,
sshfs should be trivial to setup even on slackware.

If you are interested in using sshfs, you will need:
* instal/enable fuse
* install sshfs

Mount remote file system like this:
mkdir remoteMountDir
sshfs remoteUser at remoteHost:/ ~/remoteMountDir
# This will mount remote / into ~/remoteMountDir
# Note: using full paths or ~ hor the mount directory is must

To unmount it:
fusermount -u ~/remoteMountDir

This way, you should be able to access remote files as if they would be
local. Limited by your network connection of course. By default, there
maybe a timeout which disconnect sshfs mount after some inactivity
period.

Hope it helps,
Tomas