[PLUG] Wanted: simple Linux spreadsheet

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Thu Feb 21 12:52:05 UTC 2019

On 02/20/2019 09:55 PM, tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com wrote:
> Gnumeric is pretty pretty too (pun intended) - IMHO.

Agreed<snicker>

> This is rethorical question only, of course

*DISAGREE*

> - why is pretty a problem/criteria if you just want to
> have something done?

Perhaps "pretty" was poor word choice. "Excessive featuritis" might have
been better.

> A search for obscure hardly maintained application for simple
> spreadsheet task does not seem to me like the easiest/fastest way to
> get stuff done.
>
> If the answer to my rethorical question is .... cause we can:
> There is always venerable sc

The features got in the way. The first problem was that
LibreOffice Calc and Gnumeric was there's no no obvious way to set font
parameters and column width for entire spreadsheet. Then when looking
for solution to that problem  there were a plethora of iconized menus
with their own plethora of irrelevant choices. <end rant ;>

Actually sc would be a good choice if I were already familiar with vi.

[http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/apps/financial/spreadsheet/!INDEX.html]
lists some GUI alternatives that may meet my preferences.

I should have time to check them out today.
Thanks all.