[PLUG] Need New Computer

Michael Barnes barnmichael at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 02:26:15 UTC 2019

I came home from work today to find my 12 year old Dell Optiplex bit the
dust. Not sure if it is the power supply or motherboard, troubleshooting
help is rather vague. I haven't  built a computer since 2006, so I'm a bit
out of touch on hardware specs these days. I just need a basic desktop
machine to run Ubuntu on. I have a real nice pair of Dell DVI monitors with
sound bars. They also have VGA inputs. Is DVI video still being used? My
video card has a big DVI connector that connects to a splitter cable to
feed the two monitors. From a previous issue, I know I need to upgrade
video as Google Earth would not render properly.
Anyhow, any suggestions on hardware these days? I'd really like to try to
find something local I can get back on line this weekend, but I don't know
of anyplace with hardware other than Fry's. Is there a current video card
with the dual DVI output to allow me to use my existing monitors? I really
don't want to buy a Walmart or Costco machine to pay for and throw away
Windows and I'm not interested in dual-booting. Or should I just try to
find a junk machine to get me by until I can receive something from online
purchase?
Also, are modern motherboards still using SATA drives, or has that
technology changed, too?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Michael