[PLUG] Open read-only partition read-write

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Sat Feb 23 01:40:12 UTC 2019

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 11:59:48 -0800
Jason Barnett <jason.barnett71 at gmail.com> dijo:

>Usually when I have this issue, it is because the little "lock" switch
>on the edge of the SD card has gotten moved to the "locked" position,
>which will prevent you from writing to it.

Yeah, the little slider was the first thing I checked. I'm pretty sure
the 'up' position (closest to its little teeth) means 'unlocked.' But
just to be sure I moved it down, and it still wouldn't work.

I've been poking at this off and on all day and now I am encountering
other weird stuff in addition to the SD card. For example, I have a
large external USB drive and the first thing I noticed was that I can't
open it in PCFileMan or Thunar - 'The specified directory
'/media/jjj/Movies' is not valid.' And all the external drives have not
displayed little blinken-lights all day.

Also, this being Xubuntu, auto-mounted stuff appears in /media/jjj. But
in the GUI file managers that folder now appears in 'Places,' and there
is nothing in it.

I'd reboot, but I'm worried that it won't boot.

I need some commands to check the condition of the filesystem.