[PLUG] Open read-only partition read-write

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Sun Feb 24 16:47:49 UTC 2019

My backup plans did not work out as I thought they would. I used just
the cp command with sudo, into a new folder 'boot_2_23_2019' in ~/. I
copied all folders except /home, /proc, and /tmp. Of the remainder
there were problems:

/boot 	199 of 514 files. "permissions denied"
/dev 	partial, error "can't copy special files"
/etc 		301 of 314, error "permissions denied"
/export	whole folder 'users' "permission denied"
/lib64	two that were currently in use "permission denied"
/root	0 "permissions denied"
/run		53 of 973 "permissions denied"
/srv		0 of 35,595 "permissions denied"
/usr		skipped 4 VBox and 4 Brother printer files
		"permission denied"

Why the permissions denied errors when I used 'sudo cp'?

Also, the /user folder contains 1,279,906 files. I started sudo cp about
10am yesterday, and this morning at 8:30 it has copied about 1,084,000
of them. It will probably take until this evening to finish. Why so many
files? (I used the GUIs Thunar and PCFileMan for the counts.) Also, why
so freaking slow - / and ~/ are on the same Crucial mSATA disk.

I am also shopping for a 1TB NVMe replacement for the Crucial, to use
with an NVMe to USB 3.1 Generation 1 adapter. I intend to clone the
Crucial partitions to it, with dd or something, then boot to the NVMe
on USB until I can acquire a new computer (which will be as soon as
possible).

The Crucial is about 5.5 years old. I am dismayed that it is developing
problems so soon.

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 06:10:45 -0800