[PLUG] Need new mobile phone; Treos no longer supported

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Feb 25 22:41:36 UTC 2019

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019, tom wrote:

> It is worth keeping in mind the privacy implications of such a service.
> The company behind the Find My Droid program also has access to everywhere
> you are or have been with historical archives. That can be extremely
> sensitive information.

Tom,

This is important information; I was certainly now aware of it.

I've had mobile phones since the early 1990s and last week's loss of the
Treo was a first. I've also not broken a phone, washed it, or dropped it in
the commode. While there's always a first time for anything, I'll be paying
very close attention to the presence of my new Nokia.

> It is possible to achieve the same functionality without compromising
> privacy. If you have a Nextcloud account (can be selfhosted) there is an
> extension called PhoneTrack. It allows your Nextcloud instance to have an
> API for loggers. If you use an application like Ulogger or something
> similar you can send your location data to yourself and store it in a
> database you control without disclosing that info to any third parties
> unless you wish to.

Thank you for making me aware of the potential privacy dangers of Find My
Droid and for offering a functional solution. I'll certainly keep this in
mind.

Best regards,