[PLUG] Convert .wav to .mp3 in Slackware 14.2

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 04:40:05 UTC 2019

On 2/25/19 11:40 AM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> I am ripping some CDs and converting the .wav files to .mp3. I can do
> this with the following in Ubuntu 18.04:
>
> for file in *.wav; do ffmpeg -i "${file}"  -acodec libmp3lame -ab 220k
> "${file/.wav/.mp3}"; done
>
> When I run that in Slackware 14.2 I get the error message:
>
> Unknown encoder 'libmp3lame'
>
> I have installed slackpkgs for ffmpeg and lame. I'm guessing that the
> codec provided by the slackpkg has a different name. How do I figure
> that out? Or is there something else I'm missing here?

Dick

Once you have the WAV files, you can use lame directly to convert:

lame -q 2 --abr 220 file.wav file.mp3

for average bitrate of 220k

q n selects the acoustic algorithm to improve quality (5 is default).

see 'man lame' for more settings as well as CBR and VBR bitrate parameters.

-Ed

PS: use flac.  mp3 quality sucks donkey balls.