[PLUG] Android upgrade notices (was: Wireless access point issues)

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Feb 27 15:45:11 UTC 2019

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019, Rich Shepard wrote:

> No. When I selected the WiFi icon Android found all the access points in
> the neighborhood with mine at the top of the list. I selected mine and
> entered my user password for network hosts as I never set up a user
> password for me on the WAP.

I've moved this to PLUG-talk as the focus has shifted to Android, not linux.

Backing up and puting this WAP issue in context will help us all.

Here in the office I've no need for the WAP; it serves only to allow the
Sony Vaio to access the router and FiOS connection to the 'Net. Every host
in the office has an ethernet connection to the router; when I'm not in the
office I've no need for a computer and 'Net access. So, why did I start the
thread?

I read that when Android updates the OS and installed applications on the
Nokia they can take a long time so it's better to use the phone's WiFi
capabilities rather than the mobile carrier's.

The Nokia has Android 9 installed so I imagine that a long running OS
upgrade is not in the immediate future and I do not need to connect it to
the WAP here.

But I do have a relevant question because I've not had an Android-powered
mobile phone before. How do I know when there are upgrades available that
should be applied?

If I'm notified somehow, perhaps by a text message sent by Google, I can
walk to the nearby library branch, connect to their WiFi for the upgrade,
and read while the upgrade(s) are processed.

I'll use the phone as a phone here in the office, but not to access the Web
or other 'Net functions. I hope this clarifies the situation. I'll re-work
the WAP some time in the future as it's not immediately needed.

Thanks all,