[PLUG] Can't kill process

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Sat Jan 5 00:25:03 UTC 2019

On 1/4/19 3:57 PM, wes wrote:
> One quick way to determine this is to just type stuff into the login box
> and see if it looks right. If your password uses any special characters,
> try those out at some point to make sure they're working properly, you
> don't have a shift key stuck down, etc.

I tried typing my password into the user name line and got the expected
characters. I copied and pasted it into the password line, but it didn't
help.

I just tried logging in by ssh and had no trouble.

While there I decided to try changing the owner of the html output of
lshw I did earlier from root to rsteff. Here's the results:

root at ENU-2:/home/rsteff/Desktop# chown rsteff:rsteff hardware.html
chown: invalid group: 'rsteff:rsteff'
root at ENU-2:/home/rsteff/Desktop# groups
root bin daemon sys adm disk wheel audio
root at ENU-2:/home/rsteff/Desktop#

I'm guessing that not being able to log in from ENU-2's own keyboard is
not related to bad passwords, since I can log in via ssh.

On ENU-1, my Ubuntu 18 machine, when I run groups, I see that my user,
dick, has a group:

dick at ENU-1:~$ groups
dick adm cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare vboxusers
dick at ENU-1:~$

Somehow I don't have one on ENU-2, the Slackware machine, for rsteff.
I'm sure I could add a group, but I'm wondering if the step that should
have created one included other things that should have happened during
the initial install. Will that be something I can track down, or would
it be easier to run the install over again? I'm assuming I could get the
package files I've created from /tmp before I start over, and save them
to a USB stick, which would save me some time. This time I would start
by totally redoing the partitioning, instead of just using the old boot
partition.

Again, I'm making guesses here, so feel free to apply a clue stick to
keep me from doing something wrong.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens