[PLUG] Slackware login pain

Daniel Johnson teknotus at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 01:12:46 UTC 2019

If your goal is learning then it's worth it. If your goal was just having
it work I'm not sure you would have picked Slackware as your distro so I'm
going with learning.

Being able to login via ssh means the password isn't corrupted. Being able
to type a username probably means the keyboard input is fine. What's left?

PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules), or the display manager are the only
ones that come to mind.

Can you switch VT (virtual terminal) and login from the console? Something
like Ctrl-Alt-F2 ... If you can that indicates another part that isn't
broken. If you get that far can you startX?

Could be a display manager problem. KDE likes to install KDM(KDE Display
Manager) GNOME has GDM. There are a few others xfce has one it usually
comes with. They can usually start the other desktops though. Try replacing
whatever display manager you have setup with a different one and see if
that works.