[PLUG] TLDR++, a tool to search, study, and practice Linux commands on the fly...

Tyrell Jentink tyrell at jentink.net
Sun Jan 6 01:26:53 UTC 2019

On Sat, Jan 5, 2019, 13:24 Mike C. <mconnors1 at gmail.com wrote:

Firstly, it's considered "bad form" to share something you haven't tried
and don't provide any real useful information or feedback on.

OK, I'm sorry for not having tried it first... My mistake was in treating
this group like a Reddit group, I apologise.

I probably should let this drop as an embarrassing social protocol
failure... But I'm not good at letting things drop...

When I was studying for my RHCSA, the book I was studying from spent a
significant amount of energy and repetition harping on the value of man
pages and the 'apropos' tool; Basically, Red Hat is happy if you know how
to find the tools you need, given only what comes on a default Red Hat
install; They don't particularly care for you to memorize every command,
utility, and every option available in the base repository...

'man' and 'apropos' are good tools, because they are available on a  base
install... So maybe they are enough... But maybe someone on this list would
find value in a third repository of information... I have spent many years
around Linux, and hadn't heard of this, so if I found it interesting, maybe
others will too?

To that end, tldr-pages led me to discovering various related projects,
listed here: https://github.com/tldr-pages/tldr/blob/master/README.md