[PLUG] nVidia config issue

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Mon Jan 14 16:42:51 UTC 2019

After more fooling around I think I understand a little more, but still
don't know why it doesn't work right.

In xorg.conf the last section looks like this:

Section "Screen"
     Identifier     "Screen0"
     Device         "Device0"
     Monitor        "Monitor0"
     DefaultDepth    24
     Option         "Stereo" "0"
     Option         "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-1"
     Option         "metamodes" "DVI-I-1: nvidia-auto-select +1280+0,
VGA-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
     Option         "SLI" "Off"
     Option         "MultiGPU" "Off"
     Option         "BaseMosaic" "off"
     SubSection     "Display"
         Depth       24
     EndSubSection
EndSection

The line with "metamodes" looks like it should be doing what I want. And
when I log in, /etc/X11/xorg.conf does have that line. But that's not
what the displays look like. Instead they are mirrored, and the DVI
monitor has the launch bar on the bottom. And running nvidia-settings
lets me grab the image of the DVI monitor and move it to the right,
which uncovers the VGA monitor. I click Apply, and the launch and menu
bars move to the VGA monitor, and all is well.

So it seems to me that something isn't reading and applying that line in
xorg.conf. And while it's a simple thing to run nvidia-settings, I
shouldn't have to do it at each log in. (BTW, it doesn't matter whether
I launch nvidia-settings from a terminal, or click on Applications >
Settings > NVIDIA X Server Settings. Both approaches launch the same tool.

That section of xorg.conf is identical on both ENU-1, my Ubuntu 18.04
machine, as on ENU-2, my Slackware 14.2 machine. On ENU-1 I have a
GeForce 210, and on ENU-2 I have a GeForce GT 610. The NVIDIA Driver
Version on ENU-1 is 340.107, and the NVIDIA Driver Version on ENU-2 is
390.87. Is it possible that I should drop back to 340.107 on ENU-2? I
see on:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/135161/en-us

that 340.107 supports both models.

--