[PLUG] Keeping temperatures down when compiling large programs

Daniel Hedlund daniel at digitree.org
Fri Jan 18 21:46:08 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 1:12 PM Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

>    My older, 32-bit desktop tends to overheat the both CPU cores when
> building really large applications from source. Would removing the case
> side
> help? What about blowing compressed air from a can on the CPU (and
> motherboard)?

Assuming you've checked the CPU fan is still in good order, then you might
try taking the heatsink off and reapplying some fresh thermal paste; my
understanding is that it can degrade in performance over time, or just have
been poorly applied to begin with.  If you notice the inside of the case
gets pretty hot, then you might want to invest in additional case fans.  If
the CPU is still getting too hot and you're experiencing shutdowns, you
could also investigate using tools like thermald or cpupower to limit the
temperature/frequency.  The arch wiki (
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CPU_frequency_scaling) is a good
starting point even if not running arch.

Opening the case and pointing a desk fan can help, but it's definitely a
crutch and may still not work that well if it's an issue with the thermal
paste degrading over the years.

Cheers,