[PLUG] HDHomerun-config-gui

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Sat Jan 19 06:38:52 UTC 2019

On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 21:43:28 -0800
Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com> dijo:

>On 1/18/19 9:15 PM, Derek Loree wrote:
>> Kodi works with the HDHomrun, I gave up on it because it doesn’t
>> rewind for me (on Windblows 10). However, I came home from work one
>> day and my wife (not a techie) couldn’t get the HDHomerun app to
>> work, but could get the Kodi app to work (again on Winblows 10).
>> Anyway, it is supposed to work with Linux and Mac as well, and seems
>> like a better interface that should get close to what you are
>> looking for.
>
>I forgot about Kodi. I never used it, but the guys on the MythTV
>mailing list talked about it. Some of them prefer parts of Kodi over
>MythTV. Anyway, yes, it is available for Linux, and might do what John
>needs.

I tried Kodi once on my laptop thinking it might be better than VLC. It
was not. But from what you guys are saying maybe I didn't look deep
enough.

So just now I installed it on my desktop - the computer that plays
video for me. It's easy enough to install, since it's in the Ubuntu
repos. I spent half an hour with it, but failed to get it to find the
HDHomeRun on the network (192.168.1.112). I remember now why I
uninstalled it from my laptop - the interface is hard to figure out
because it completely overrides the window manager and my personal
settings for it. There is no title bar, no close X in the corner, no
button to go back or forward to find things, no menus - it's just
impossible to figure out how to use it. At least for me. Maybe if I was
a teenager I would have better luck. But I'm an old man and all I want
to do is watch television without having to hire a teenager to come
over and turn it on for me. :(

OK, that was kind of snarky. I'll poke at it some more tomorrow morning
when my mood has improved. :)