[PLUG] [Update] -- Re: Copying all partitions of a drive to single partition/directory?

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Wed Jan 23 15:07:41 UTC 2019

On 01/05/2019 07:26 AM, Tyrell Jentink wrote:
> I glanced too quickly at that Montana State page... What I wanted wasn't
> there.
>
> Look at the 'mount' Man page, specifically the section on "The Loop
> Device": https://linux.die.net/man/8/mount
>
> On Sat, Jan 5, 2019, 05:18 Tyrell Jentink <tyrell at jentink.net wrote:
>
>> [snip] ... This article appears to cover the ins and outs pretty well,
>> although I just glanced over it...
>>
>> http://www.cs.montana.edu/~andrew.hamilton/cs560/VFS/mount.html

Actually following chains of links from
http://www.cs.montana.edu/~andrew.hamilton/ is leading in potentially
useful directions.

As to "[Update]", pondering this thread and my tread about "back up
methods" has lead to a preliminary goal re-specification.

Partition images may be overkill. It looks like:
   /home
   /var/cache/apt/archives/
   a yet undefined subset of /usr
will actually be more useful.