[PLUG] Scanning with HP Laserjet Pro M148dw

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Fri Jan 25 20:07:44 UTC 2019

I've just set up an HP Laserjet Pro M148dw on my home network. I can
print from my Ubuntu MATE 18.04 machine, but I can't scan from it.

When I run System > Administration > Printers the icon for it shows up,
and I can double click on it to get to the properties window.

When I run System > Preferences > Other > HPLIP Toolbox I get an error
telling me "No Installed HP Devices Found." I click on Setup Device and
get a window for Device Discovery. I change the radio button from USB to
Network and click Next. I get a new error message that says "HPLIP
cannot detect printers in your network." I go back to the Device
Discovery page and click Show Advanced Options, where I can click a
check box for Manual Discovery and put in the IP address (which shows on
the printer, and which I've set up in my Buffalo router so it always
gets that IP address). I type in the IP address. (There is another item
called Jetdirect port, which is set to 1. I don't know what that does.)
After clicking Next I again get the error message that says "HPLIP
cannot detect printers in your network."

A clue stick will be appreciated.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens