[PLUG] LibreOffice Base experience?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Jan 27 00:23:10 UTC 2019

On Sat, 26 Jan 2019, Roderick Anderson wrote:

> Anyone have experience building a non-trival DB application using
> LibreOffice?

Rod,

Tried it a couple of times and gave up.

> I think I got crazy one day and removed all the java/JRE stuff so LO is not
> happy.

JRE (or openjfx) is harmless.

> The application is for tracking membership for a small 501(c)(3).  A little
> over 100 members.

> Next step will be to see about using either PostgreSQL ( a little heavy
> for this situation ) or MariaDB/MySQL ( little lighter ) but I would
> prefer an embedded database. Which my reading/research says is Firebird,
> or Sqlite.

I recommend SQLite3 for your application.

Do you do any coding? Python3 would be a good choice for a stand-alone
desktop application using the builtin tkinter widget set (that's your UI),
SQLAlchemy (that's your middleware; the Object Relation Manager), SQLite3
(the database back end), and I think the bridge between SA and SQLite3 is
something like answr (the postgres equivalent is psycopg2.)

If you want a browser interface I recommend Django (also written in Python)
with SQLite3 as the backend.

HTH,