[PLUG] GIMP: lost toolbox and layer manager on startup

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 01:39:43 UTC 2019

On 7/3/19 8:34 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> I managed to close GIMP and lose the toolbox and layer manager displaying
> when it starts. Looking in ~/.gimp/ I don't see where I can tell the
> application to load these two normal defaults when loading. A pointer to
> what to remove or modify is needed.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rich

Rich,

in the main Gimp screen (with drop downs File Edit..etc), click on the
"Windows" drop down.  There you will see

Recently Closed Docks >
Dockable Dialogs >

Recently closed docks are in the menu as so named (if you didn't close
the current session with the missing docks). You can also restore
previous sessions under Edit -> Preferences -> Window Management and
reset saved window positions to default values.

You can also recreate them fairly easily. For example, Tools - New
Toolbox, then Window - Dockable Dialogs > then select the Tool dialogs.
Drag and drop the tab of each dock onto the toolbook, etc.

https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-concepts-docks.html

https://superuser.com/questions/645532/i-accidentally-closed-my-gimp-toolbox-can-i-get-it-back

Have fun!